Splunk Stream version 8.1 was released on June 29, 2022.
Stream 8.1 contains a number of bug fixes, see the release notes for more information.
Splunk Stream can now automatically pull proprietary Netflow configurations from configuration apps that you create and install. Splunk Stream uses these configuration apps to automatically configure Netflow proprietary elements. For more information, see Automatically input data with Netflow proprietary configurations.
What has changed in Splunk Universal forwarder 9.0.1
As of Splunk Universal forwarder 9.0.1 we have reduced the capabilities/access the forwarder has, and the Splunk admin needs to specify additional capabilities in the Splunk Universal forwarder systemd service unit file.
Previously, the Splunk Universal forwarder provided three ambient capabilities enabled:
As of version 9.0.1 these three capabilities have been reduced down to one:
However, Splunk Stream 8.1 still needs the CAP_NET_ADMIN and CAP_NET_RAW capabilities to function properly. You must specify these capabilities in the Splunk Universal forwarder systemd service unit file.
To change the Splunk Universal forwarder systemd service unit file to add the additional capabilities needed for Stream:
- Locate of Splunk Universal forwarder systemd service unit file using the following command:
$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk display boot-start
- If you haven't enabled boot-start on your forwarder, the Splunk Universal forwarder systemd service unit file is located at /lib/systemd/system/SplunkForwarder.service.
- If you have enabled boot-start on your forwarder, the Splunk Universal Forwarder systemd service unit file is located at /etc/systemd/system/SplunkForwarder.service
- Edit Splunk Universal forwarder systemd service unit file and edit the line:
CAP_NET_ADMIN and CAP_NET_RAW AmbientCapabilities=CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_RAW
- Reload the systemd daemon for the unit file change to take effect:
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
- Restart the Splunk Universal forwarder:
sudo $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk restart
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Stream™: 8.1.0