Hardware and software requirements
Splunk Enterprise requirements
- If you're using the Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP for configuration or data collection, install the add-on on the scheduler and data collection node in a Linux x64 environment. See "System requirements" in the Splunk Enterprise Installation Manual.
- If you're using the Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP as a search time knowledge object, install the add-on on the search head indexer, which is platform independent.
- Splunk Enterprise 8.0.x, 8.1.x and 8.2.0.
- A valid Splunk Enterprise license that supports approximately 300 MB to 1GB of data per filer per day.
- A Splunk Enterprise server or forwarder with network access to the NetApp storage controllers.
Distributed Collection Scheduler requirements
These supporting add-ons support the Distributed Collection Scheduler in the Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP.
- SA-Hydra version 4.1.6.
Supported NetApp versions
The following table displays the versions of the Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP that have been tested and proven to be compatible with the below versions of the ONTAP line of products.
|Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP version||Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP Indexes version||Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP Extractions version||Splunk App for NetApp Data ONTAP version||Splunk Enterprise version||NetApp® Data ONTAP® 7-Mode version||NetApp® Data ONTAP® Cluster Mode version|
|3.0.2||3.0.2||3.0.2||2.1.91||8.0.x, 8.1.x, 8.2.0||up to 8.3||up to 9.7|
|3.0.5||3.0.2||3.0.2||N/A||8.1.x, 8.2.x, 9.0.0||up to 8.3||up to 9.9.1|
Splunk Enterprise supports NetApp® DATA ONTAP on NetApp V-series and FAS controllers.
Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP supports the browser versions listed below:
- Firefox (latest)
- Safari (latest)
- Chrome (latest)
Requirements for installing Splunk Add-on for NetApp ONTAP with other add-ons in the same environment
The following requirements apply to installing Splunk Add-on for NetApp ONTAP and Splunk Add-on for VMware in the same environment:
|Splunk Add-on for NetApp ONTAP version||Splunk Add-on for VMware version||Can DCS be installed on the same machine?||Can DCN be installed on the same machine?|
|3.0.0 or later||3.4.6 or later||No||No|
|2.1.91 or before||3.4.5 or before||Yes||No|
The following requirements apply to installing Splunk Add-on for NetApp ONTAP and Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics in the same environment:
|Splunk Add-on for NetApp ONTAP||Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics version||Can DCS be installed on the same machine?||Can DCN be installed on the same machine?|
|3.0.0||4.0.0 or later||Yes||No|
|3.0.0||1.0.0, 1.1.0 or 1.1.1 (Splunk VMware Add-on for ITSI)||No||No|
Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP data volume requirements
Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP requires a license that can collect:
- performance data at a volume of 300MB to 1GB per filer per day
- syslog data at a volume of 100MB
The number of volumes and disks in your NetApp environment directly impact your data volume.
When you have the app up and running, navigate to the App Data Volume view to see the volume of data it is indexing in your environment. From the App menu, select Settings, then App Data Volume. You can see:
- The total quantity of data indexed over a 24 hour time period
- A breakdown of the type of data, and the volume of each type
Splunk data collection node resource requirements
At a minimum, a single data collection node requires:
- 4 cores - 4 vCPUs or 2 vCPUs with 2 cores with a reservation of 2 GHz
- 6GB memory with a reservation of 1 GB
- 4-10 GB of disk space
At these requirements, one data collection node can collect from 20 filers.
A single data collection node requires:
- A version of CentOS or RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) that is compatible with one of the following:
- Splunk Enterprise 8.0.0 or later.
- A Splunk Enterprise heavy forwarder or light forwarder, version 7.3.0 or later. This is a minimum Splunk requirement for the Splunk App for NetApp Data ONTAP. You cannot use a universal forwarder.
Release history for Splunk Add-on for NetApp Data ONTAP
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Supported Add-ons: released