Install the Splunk ODBC Driver on Microsoft Windows
The Splunk Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) driver is installed on a Windows machine in your environment, and not in your Splunk platform deployment. To install the Splunk ODBC Driver, perform the following steps:
- Install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 Package, as described in Hardware and software requirements for the Splunk ODBC driver.
- Download the Splunk ODBC driver from Splunkbase. The Splunk ODBC Driver contains both a 32-bit installer and a 64-bit installer.
- Open the appropriate installer, and click Next.
- Read the license agreement, and, if you accept the terms, select the first option and click Next.
- (Optional.) Change the default install directory (located in the Program Files directory) and click Next.
- On the Create a Data Source screen, enter the requested information. (To configure the driver later, see Enter or change configuration information.)
- Login ID: Enter a user ID for your Splunk server. The user ID doesn't have to be assigned an admin role. For more information about users and roles, see About users and roles in the Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual..
- Password: The password field is not enabled. To save the password for your Splunk instance with the ODBC driver, select the Enter and Save Password box, and type your password. If you leave this box unselected and the field empty, you must enter the password every time you connect to the Splunk server.
You must change your Splunk instance user password from the default "changeme" password, or else the Splunk ODBC Driver can't connect to your Splunk platform instance.
- Server URL: Enter the URL of the Splunk platform server. This field has the address of a local Splunk server. If the Splunk instance to which you're connecting isn't running locally, enter the Splunk server's address. Include the right scheme, as well as the port number. The default scheme is HTTPS, and the default port number is 8089. Do not enter the Splunk Web port (port 8000). If your Splunk setup has a load balancer, enter the address of the load balancer instead. For more information, see Configure the load balancer.
- Click Next, and then click Install. When the installation is complete, click Finish.
Install the version of the driver that corresponds to the bit version (32-bit or 64-bit) of the app that you use to connect to your Splunk instance. For example, if you run a 32-bit version of Microsoft Excel, install the 32-bit version of the Splunk ODBC Driver, even if you're running a 64-bit edition of Windows. If you don't know whether you have the 32- or 64-bit version of your app installed, then see your app's "About" screen.
Share data in the Splunk ODBC Driver
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® ODBC Driver: 3.1.0