Step 2: Create your app
The Splunk app framework works from a specific directory structure. You can create the directory structure by hand within your
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps directory. However, you can also use the Splunk app builder to create and customize your app workspace. App builder creates the directory structure for you, as well as the
app.conf configuration file that registers your app with your Splunk server.
Use app builder
App builder is available from Settings. To use app builder in Splunk Web, follow these instructions:
1. Log in to Splunk Web and navigate to Apps > Manage Apps.
2. Click Create app.
3. Specify the following in the Add new panel.
- Name: The name for your app. The name maps to the label setting in
app.confand is the name that appears in Launcher and the App drop-down menu in Splunk Web.
- Folder name: The name to use for the directory in $SPLUNK_HOME.
The name of the folder cannot contain the "dot" (
.) character .
- Visible: Apps containing views should be marked visible.
- Description: A description of the app. Previous versions of Splunk Enterprise display the description on the Splunk Home page. The current version of Splunk Enterprise does not use the description. If you plan to upload your app to Splunkbase, supply a description. Splunkbase uses the description to validate an app package.
- Template: The
barebonesapp templates are provided.
sample_appincludes sample views and saved searches.
barebonesjust provides the app directory structure and an
app.conffile. You can add additional customized templates.
- Note: The
4. Save your app.
- You do not have to restart Splunk Enterprise before your app is available, but you may need to restart to load configurations.
5. Continue building out your app in Step 3: add configurations.
Step 1: Getting started
Step 3: Add configurations
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7, 6.3.8, 6.3.9, 6.3.10, 6.3.11, 6.3.12, 6.3.13, 6.3.14, 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.4.10, 6.4.11