dump command is an internal, unsupported, experimental command. See
About internal commands.
For Splunk Enterprise deployments, export search results to a set of chunk files on local disk. For information about other export methods, see Export search results in the Search Manual.
This command is considered risky because, if used incorrectly, it can pose a security risk or potentially lose data when it runs. As a result, this command triggers SPL safeguards. See SPL safeguards for risky commands in Securing the Splunk Platform.
Required syntax is in bold:
- Syntax: basefilename=<string>
- Description: The prefix of the export filename.
- Syntax: compress=<number>
- Description: The gzip compression level. Specify a number from 0 to 9, where 0 means no compression and a higher number means more compression and slower writing speed.
- Default: 2
- Syntax: fields=<comma-delimited-string>
- Description: The list of the fields to export. The entire list must be enclosed in quotation marks. Invalid field names are ignored.
- Syntax: format= raw | csv | tsv | json | xml
- Description: The output data format.
- Default: raw
- Syntax: rollsize=<number>
- Description: The minimum file size, in MB, at which point no more events are written to the file and it becomes a candidate for HDFS transfer.
- Default: 63 MB
This command exports events to a set of chunk files on local disk at "$SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/splunk/dispatch/<sid>/dump". This command recognizes a special field in the input events,
_dstpath, which if set is used as a path to be appended to the
dst directory to compute the final destination path.
dump command preserves the order of events as the events are received by the command.
dump command is considered to be a potentially risky command. To use this command, you must have a role with the run_dump capability. See Define roles on the Splunk platform with capabilities.
For more information about risky commands, see SPL safeguards for risky commands.
Example 1: Export all events from index "bigdata" to the location "YYYYmmdd/HH/host" at "$SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/splunk/dispatch/<sid>/dump/" directory on local disk with "MyExport" as the prefix of export filenames. Partitioning of the export data is achieved by eval preceding the dump command.
index=bigdata | eval _dstpath=strftime(_time, "%Y%m%d/%H") + "/" + host | dump basefilename=MyExport
Example 2: Export all events from index "bigdata" to the local disk with "MyExport" as the prefix of export filenames.
index=bigdata | dump basefilename=MyExport
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud Platform™: 8.2.2202, 8.2.2203, 9.0.2205, 9.0.2208, 9.0.2209, 8.2.2201, 8.2.2112, 9.0.2303, 9.0.2305 (latest FedRAMP release)