Upgrade a distributed RHEL, CentOS, or Oracle Linux installation of Splunk UBA
Before upgrading Splunk UBA in a distributed deployment, be sure you have verified the Upgrade Splunk UBA prerequisites. Make sure that the prerequisites are verified on each server in the distributed deployment.
Upgrade your kernel to the latest version
Perform the steps in the table to upgrade your operating system kernel to the latest version. See Operating system requirements for the specific kernel versions.
|Operating System||Update Instructions|
|OEL 7.7, 7.8, 7.9||
|RHEL 7.7, 7.8, or 7.9||
Run the following command to update your CentOS kernel to the latest available version:
Running this command updates your CentOS kernel to the latest available version. You can't select a specific version. Run this command only if you are sure you want the latest available verison of CentOS
sudo yum update -y
Distributed environment upgrade steps
Install Splunk UBA 5.0.5 on the management node only. The upgrade script will update all relevant files on the other Splunk UBA nodes. Ensure that Splunk UBA is running before you upgrade.
To obtain and install Splunk UBA 5.0.5, perform the following tasks on the management node:
- Obtain the Splunk UBA Software Update and download the file to the
/home/caspidadirectory. Select version 5.0.5 from the drop-down list. The downloadable archive file is named
- Extract the archive with the following command:
tar xfz /home/caspida/splunk-uba-software-update_505.tgz -C /home/caspida
The following files are extracted:
- Extract the software update package in the
tar xfz /home/caspida/splunk-uba-software-update-000059-505.tgz -C /home/caspida
- Apply the patch with the following command:
The command installs the new Splunk UBA software, restarts Splunk UBA, and then restarts the data sources.
/home/caspida/patch_uba_505/bin/utils/patch_uba.sh -p /home/caspida/patch_uba_505 -e /home/caspida/uba-ext-pkgs-5.0.5.tgz
Apply security patches on your Linux operating system
Perform the following tasks to apply the latest Linux operating system security patches:
- Log in to the Splunk UBA management node as the caspida user.
- Run the following command to stop Splunk UBA and all services:
- On each Splunk UBA node, perform the following tasks:
- Log in as the caspida user.
- Run the following command to install the security plugin:
sudo yum -y install yum-plugin-security
- Run the following commands to check for any available security updates:
sudo yum updateinfo list security all sudo yum updateinfo list sec
- Run the following command to update all packages with the available security updates:
sudo yum update --security -y sudo yum --security update-minimal
- Reboot the system:
- On the Splunk UBA management node, run the following command to start Splunk UBA and all services:
Upgrade a distributed AMI or OVA installation of Splunk UBA
Upgrade a Splunk UBA deployment that is using warm standby
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® User Behavior Analytics: 5.0.5