Use the Splunk Add-on Builder
The home page of the Splunk Add-on Builder displays projects for all of the add-ons that were created using the Splunk Add-on Builder along with apps and add-ons that are installed on your instance of Splunk Enterprise. An Add-on Builder project is an editable add-on along with its meta data. You can export projects for use on other instances of Add-on Buiilder.
Work with other apps and add-ons
Using Add-on Builder, you can work with other apps and add-ons that are installed on your instance of Splunk Enterprise, even if the app or add-on was not created using Add-on Builder.
- Validate&Package: Validate the app or add-on against best practices and other rules, and determine whether your app is ready for Splunk App Certification. You can also download a package file for the app or add-on.
- Manage Source Type: Create or import a source type and add sample data for the app or add-on.
- Extract Fields: Parse the data in your source types to create field extractions for the app or add-on.
- Map to Data Model: Map fields from the app or add-on to the data models.
- Create Alert Actions: Create and configure alert actions for the app or add-on.
If an existing app or add-on already has configuration files in the app's /default directory, you are prompted to allow Add-on Builder to move these configuration files to the app's /local directory and merge them with any existing configuration files. Typically these configuration files include props.conf, eventtypes.conf, and tags.conf, which are used for data model mapping.
To use Add-on Builder to work with other apps and add-ons
- On the Splunk Add-on Builder home page, click the Other apps and add-ons tab.
- On the app or add-on, click the link for the activity you want: Validate & Package, Manage Source Type, Manage Source Type, Extract Fields, Map to Data Model or Create Alert Actions.
For end-to-end walkthroughs, see the Splunk Developer Portal.
What to know before you build add-ons
Import and export an add-on project
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Add-on Builder: 2.2.0