Install the ITSI APM Module
- Install the Splunk ITSI Module for Application Performance Monitoring on every Splunk search head that has ITSI installed. Follow the instructions that match your ITSI deployment:
- Create a new service using the ITSI APM Module service template. See Create a service from a service template in ITSI in the Service Insights manual.
Install on Splunk Cloud
To install the Splunk ITSI Module for Application Performance Monitoring, on Splunk Cloud, follow the instructions in Install apps in your Splunk Cloud deployment. If your Splunk Cloud deployment does not support self-service app installation, file a ticket on the Splunk Support Portal for assistance.
Install on a single on-premises search head
You can install the Splunk ITSI Module for Application Performance Monitoring on a single Splunk platform instance or single search head.
- Download the
- Stop the Splunk platform.
cd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin ./splunk stop
- Extract the package into
tar -xvf DA-ITSI-APM-<number>.tgz -C $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
- Start the Splunk platform.
cd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin ./splunk start
Install to multiple on-premises search heads
- Copy the install package to all search heads.
scp DA-ITSI-APM-<number>.tgz email@example.com:$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
- On each search head, untar the install package.
tar -xvf DA-ITSI-APM-<number>.tgz
- Restart each search head.
cd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin ./splunk restart
Install on a search head cluster
- Install the Splunk ITSI Module for Application Performance Monitoring on the deployer in the
- Create a temporary directory for unzipping the data.
- Move the
DA-ITSI-APM-<number>.tgzfile to this directory.
- Extract the installation file.
- Copy all files included in the installation package from the temp location to
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps/. For example:
mkdir /tmp/itsi mv DA-ITSI-APM-<number>.tgz /tmp/itsi cd /tmp/itsi tar -xvf DA-ITSI-APM-<number>.tgz cp -R * $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps/
- Push the configuration bundle from the deployer to search head cluster members.
Do not deploy a bundle from any instance other than the deployer. Running the apply shcluster-bundle command on a non-deployer instance, such as a cluster member, deletes all existing apps and user generated content on all search head cluster members.
- On the deployer, under
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps, create a subdirectory
cd $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps mkdir auth_itsi/local
- Copy the
cd $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/ cp authentication.conf $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps/auth_itsi/local
- Run the
splunk apply shcluster-bundlecommand on the deployer.
splunk apply shcluster-bundle -target <URI>:<management_port> -auth <username>:<password>
-targetparameter is required. It specifies the URI and management port for any member of the cluster. For example:
https://10.0.1.14:8089. Though you specify a single cluster member, the deployer pushes the URI and management port to all members.
-authparameter specifies credentials for the deployer instance. This pushes everything contained in the
shcluster/directory, including the ITSI app, all SAs, and the LDAP configuration, from the deployer to each search head cluster member.
Install the supported add-ons that collect APM data for the ITSI APM Module
KPIs and thresholds for the ITSI APM Module
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® ITSI Module for Application Performance Monitoring: 1.0.0