About the Splunk MINT SDKs
Splunk MINT allows you to gain mobile intelligence about your mobile apps by using the Splunk MINT SDKs with your existing mobile app projects. Then, you can use Splunk MINT Management Console and the Splunk MINT App to monitor and gain insights into all of your mobile apps.
In addition to sending crash reports, you can send additional data to Splunk MINT to monitor specific actions and items in your mobile apps.
- Monitor transactions. Track any process in your app from start to finish and identify slow transactions that negatively affect the user experience.
- Add and report events. Add events to your code and report them to track virtually any user activity on your app.
- Report crashes and handled exceptions. Log crashes and handled exceptions that occur, along with any custom information you want to add.
- Add custom data and breadcrumbs to crash reports. Add custom data to your crash reports as key-value pairs. You can also add breadcrumbs to your code to tag events or actions, which are also included in crash reports.
- Report user-specific data. Track the experience of any given user by adding user identifiers to your code, then you can search for errors that affected a particular user and examine the corresponding crash data.
- Send log output. Collect and view system debug messages depending on the platform. For example, send LogCat output from Android devices or NSLog messages from iOS devices.
- Report debug messages. Display debug messages during testing before you deploy to production.
- Monitor hybrid pages. Use WebView monitoring to track any hybrid pages that are not written in native code.
The Splunk Mint SDKs are available for the following platforms and programming languages:
- Android (Java)
- iOS (Objective-C and Swift)
Splunk MINT supports the following mobile apps:
- Native apps on iOS and Android
- Hybrid apps on iOS and Android
Although the MINT SDKs might work with these mobile app platforms, Splunk MINT does not officially support them:
- Apache Cordova
- Dojo Mobile
- Appcelerator Titanium
- Google Sparrow
Splunk MINT SDKs for Xamarin
The previous BugSense SDKs for Xamarin have been released as Splunk MINT SDKs on GitHub as open source projects under the Apache 2.0 License. If you want to continue using Xamarin Android or Xamarin iOS with Splunk MINT, get the open source SDKs from these repositories:
The Splunk MINT SDKs for Xamarin are not officially supported by the Splunk MINT team. If you use these SDKs, you must rely on the community for support and maintenance builds.
How does Splunk MINT work?
Splunk MINT has several components that work together:
- The MINT SDKs integrate MINT into your mobile apps with only one line of code. The SDKs are available for several platforms.
- The MINT Data Collector forwards data from mobile apps to the MINT Management Console and the MINT Add-on for Splunk Enterprise.
- The cloud-based MINT Management Console shows you seven days of information about crashes, usage, and performance for each individual MINT project (a MINT project corresponds to one mobile app on one platform).
- The MINT Add-on collects data about your mobile app projects from the MINT Data Collector and sends it to Splunk Enterprise.
- The MINT App for Splunk Enterprise provides dashboards, saved reports, and search functionality allowing you to view data for all of your MINT app projects together, over all time, to gain powerful insights about all channels of your organization. For a comparison, see What's the difference between the Splunk MINT Management Console and the Splunk MINT App?
- The End User Experience Monitoring (EUEM) module for Splunk IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) monitors metrics related to the end-user experience and correlates end-user performance issues such as page load time, page rendering time, error rates, and AJAX latency.
How do I monitor mobile apps with Splunk MINT?
- Get a Splunk MINT account.
- Get the Splunk MINT SDKs.
- Create projects for your mobile apps in Splunk MINT Management Console.
- Integrate MINT into your mobile apps.
- View data for your mobile apps in MINT Management Console.
- Set up the Splunk MINT Add-on to pull data from the MINT Data Collector.
- View your MINT data in Splunk Enterprise.
For each platform your app runs on, download the corresponding Splunk MINT SDK or plugin:
Log in to Splunk MINT Management Console and create a project for one variation of your mobile app (a platform and release stage, such as Android/Testing, or iOS/Release). You'll get an API key and a line of code to add for that particular platform—copy it to your clipboard:
Paste the line of code that contains your API key into your mobile app code to integrate MINT:
Repeat steps 3-4 for each of the mobile apps you want to monitor, creating one project for each platform/release stage combination.
When you start using your mobile apps, they will begin to send data to the Splunk MINT Data Collector. Go back to MINT Management Console and open your mobile app projects. You'll start to see data appear in your dashboards in minutes.
Once your MINT data is indexed in Splunk Enterprise, you can view your data in different ways:
What are the keys and tokens used by MINT?
The following table summarizes the different keys and tokens used by Splunk MINT.
|What is it?
|Where is it?
|Identifies a specific mobile app project and is generated for each new project you create in Splunk MINT Management Console.
|On the MINT Management Console home page, one key per project.
|Identifies your Splunk MINT account, and is used to provide authentication when integrating third-party apps such as HipChat or when using the dSYM uploader script.
|In MINT Management Console, under Account > Account Info.
|MINT Data Collector token
|Connects your Splunk MINT account to Splunk Enterprise and enables iOS stack traces to be symbolicated in the MINT App.
|In MINT Management Console, under Account > Usage.
|Enables you to use the HTTP Event Collector with MINT.
|In Splunk Web, under Settings > Data inputs.
Where can I get help?
Requirements and installation for iOS
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk MINT™ SDK for iOS (Legacy): 5.2.x