Download and schedule an email export of a dashboard
Download or schedule an email export of a dashboard to analyze, save, and share with other people. In View mode, navigate to the Actions dropdown and select an operation.
The following is an example of the Actions dropdown used to choose various actions available for a dashboard, such as downloading, cloning, scheduling an export, or deleting.
Download a dashboard
You can download a dashboard as a PDF or PNG in View mode by clicking the Actions dropdown in the menu bar and selecting a format. A dashboard downloaded in either format displays the entire dashboard as one image.
Schedule an email export
|This feature is deprecated.|
|The Limited Availability Release (LAR) for scheduled email export of dashboards is deprecated in the Splunk Cloud Platform as of March 24, 2023. Although scheduled email export of dashboards continues to function, it will be removed on April 30, 2023.|
Limited Availability Release (LAR) is closed and deprecated. Scheduled email export of dashboards was available as a Limited Availability Release (LAR) for Splunk Cloud Platform customers with their Enterprise Cloud deployments in AWS US N. Virginia.
You must have the
list_tokens_scs capabilities to schedule an export with Dashboard Studio. By default, only admins and sc_admins have the
Schedule an email export of a dashboard PDF to deliver by the hour, day, week, month, or cron schedule. When scheduling an export, consider the following.
- The Splunk mail server has a default attachment size limit of 7.5 MB. Images and icons in the dashboard count towards this limit.
- Only one scheduled export per dashboard will be processed at a time. If the previously scheduled export of a given dashboard is still running when the export schedule is triggered again, the newly triggered export will be skipped.
- A scheduled export will process a maximum of three concurrent searches per dashboard.
- For example, if a dashboard has ten searches, only three will process at a time.
- Inputs within a dashboard must have default values.
- If no default value is defined, any dashboard panels depending on the input will not render. Currently, specific (non-default) inputs are not supported.
Use the preset options for your scheduled email export or configure it further using specific email domain lists, tokens, and cron scheduling.
The following image is an example of a popup modal used to specify the scheduling and details of a scheduled email export.
- In View mode, navigate to Actions > Scheduled Export.
- Switch the Enable toggle to Active.
- Set the cadence of your export using the Schedule dropdown.
- If you select Run by Cron, see Specify a cron schedule.
- Specify the email details.
- Use a comma-separated list of email recipients in the Email To field. You can also use a defined list of allowed email recipients. See Create email domain lists.
- Set the Priority of the email to Critical, High, Normal, Low, or Very Low. Enforcement of priority depends on your email client.
- Write the contents for Subject and Message. You can also use tokens in the Subject and Message fields. See Use tokens.
- (Optional) Select Send Test Email to immediately send a preview of the email contents to all recipients in the Email To field.
- Click Save & Enable to save the scheduled delivery settings.
Create email domain lists
Admins can specify a comma-separated list of allowed Email Domains for a defined list of email recipients. Do not enter a return (newline) between items in this list because it restricts the number of email domains available for scheduled email exports. Leave the field blank for no domain restriction.
To learn more about 'Email Domains, see Configure email notifications for your Splunk Instance in the Alerting Manual.
Tokens represent data generated by a search. Use tokens as placeholders or variables for data values that populate when the search completes.
Access the value of a token with the following syntax.
For example, place the following token in the subject field of a scheduled PDF delivery to reference the app containing the dashboard.
Search results from $app$
Specify a cron schedule
You can use cron notation to define a custom delivery schedule. Select the Cron option to input a schedule. When specifying a cron expression, only five cron parameters are available, not six. The sixth parameter for year, common in other forms of cron notation, is not available.
Here are some example cron expressions.
*/5 * * * * Every 5 minutes. */30 * * * * Every 30 minutes. 0 */12 * * * Every 12 hours, on the hour. */20 * * * 1-5 Every 20 minutes, Monday through Friday. 0 9 1-7 * 1 First Monday of each month, at 9am.
View scheduled exports
You can view the list of scheduled email exports by navigating to Settings > User Interface > View PDF Scheduling.
Discontinue a scheduled email export of a dashboard
- In View mode, navigate to Actions > Scheduled Export.
- Switch the Enable toggle to Inactive.
- Click Save & Disable to save the scheduled delivery settings.
- Your download does not render or only partially renders.
- Make sure your searches have finished. If you try to download a dashboard while searches are still running, you'll see a confirmation message. If you continue to download the dashboard, it might not render completely.
- Visualizations that depend on real-time searches will result in the same confirmation message as those searches that are still running. These visualizations will render depending on the search results when the dashboard downloads.
- Your visualization panels are empty.
- Any visualizations that depend on data sources that return no data will appear empty.
- Images that come from an external URL will not render. To ensure these images render, save them to a local directory and upload them to your dashboard.
- Your PNG or PDF is truncating chart labels.
- Your canvas might be too large. Try changing the canvas to a smaller size in the Configuration panel. For more details about canvas size in different layouts, see Compare absolute and grid layouts.
Set global and local defaults
View dashboards on a mobile device
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud Platform™: 8.2.2112, 8.2.2201, 8.2.2202, 8.2.2203, 9.0.2205, 9.0.2208, 9.0.2209 (latest FedRAMP release)
Feedback submitted, thanks!