Part 5: Add a single value visualization
In this part of the tutorial, you'll add total revenue as a single value visualization to your dashboard. You can add a single value by attaching the visualization, created with a chain search, to a data source and adjusting visual formatting options. By adding total revenue as a single value in the Buttercup Games dashboard, you can highlight an important metric in a visually compelling way.
- Select the add chart icon () in the editing toolbar, and then select Single Value.
- In the Chain Search section of the Select Search panel, select + Create Chain Search.
- Name the data source Total Revenue.
- Select Most Purchased Games in the Parent Search drop-down menu.
- Add your extended search. For this tutorial, copy and paste the following search into the Total Revenue field:
| stats sum(Revenue)
- Select Apply & Close.
- Add a title to the single value visualization. In the Configuration panel, enter Total Revenue in the Title input field.
You can also add a title and description by using the Add Markdown icon in the editing toolbar and entering ### Total Revenue in the text box.
- In the Selected Data Field section, make sure that sum(Revenue) (number) is selected.
- In the Major value & trend section, follow these steps:
- Change the Unit position to Before.
- Enter $ for the Unit label.
- Increase the Precision value to 2.
- In the Coloring section, change the Static background to transparent.
- Move and resize the single value so that it fits within the middle rectangle on the left side of the canvas.
After completing Part 5, your single value visualization look similar to the following:
You've completed Part 5 of the Splunk Dashboard Studio tutorial.
Now your dashboard has a single value visualization. Next, you'll continue to build on your dashboard by showing the connection between geographic locations and purchases. Continue to Part 6: Add a map.
Part 4: Add a line chart
Part 6: Add a map
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud Platform™: 9.0.2303, 9.0.2305 (latest FedRAMP release), 9.1.2308