You can add text, links, and images to your dashboard using standard Markdown formatting. This feature is available for the grid and absolute layout. To add Markdown, click the Add Markdown button () in the editing toolbar using the visual editor.
Configuration panel options for Markdown
You can use the Configuration panel to configure the following Markdown components.
Position & Size
You can use either your mouse to change the size or location of the visualization, or the Position & Size section of the Configuration panel for pixel perfect sizing and placement.
Edit Markdown using the following buttons provided in visual editor:
- Insert link ()
- Insert blockquote ()
- Insert code ()
- The code will format differently for a single line of code versus a multiple-line code block. A single line of code will format with a grey background that extends to the last bit of code. A large code block will have syntax highlighting, and the grey background extends to the edge of the markdown panel.
- Insert image ()
- Insert unordered list ()
- Insert ordered list ()
- Insert heading ()
- Headings sizes correlate to the number of hashtags before the heading. For example, #heading is the largest font size, and ##heading is one size smaller than the largest.
- Bold text ()
- Italicize text ()
You can also include standard Markdown formatting beyond what is provided in the visual editor. Select Preview to view the text as it will appear in the dashboard. Select Write to continue editing. Make sure to Save your changes.
- Font Color - Specify the text color using hexadecimal codes or RGBA values, such as "#FF0000" or "rgba(25,12,13,0.1)".
- Background Color - Specify the background color using a hexadecimal code such as "#FF0000".
- Font Size - Specify the size of the font in each individual Markdown object. Size options include extra small, small, default, large, and extra large.
Select your visualization or its search to view and edit the source code in real-time. You can also change the Visualization ID to a more readable ID to help identify this visualization in the source code.
Source options for Markdown
The following options are available for editing Markdown in the source editor:
|backgroundColor||string||transparent||Specify the background color using a hexadecimal code such as "#FF0000".|
|fontColor||string||> themes.defaultFontColor||Specify the text color using hexadecimal codes or RGBA values, such as "#FF0000" or "rgba(25,12,13,0.1)". The default for enterprise light is "#3c444d". The default for enterprise dark is "#FFFFFF". The default for prisma dark is "rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)".|
|fontSize||("extraSmall" | "small" | "default" | "large" | "extraLarge")||default||Specify the font size you would like to use for markdown content. Font sizes range from extra small (10px for unformatted text) to extra large (18px for unformatted text) with the default being 14px for unformatted text.|
|markdown||string||n/a||Add text using basic markdown syntax.|
Add a text box in the absolute layout
|This feature is deprecated.|
|The text box feature is deprecated as of the Splunk Cloud Platform version 8.2.2201. Although this feature continues to function, it might be removed in a future version.
Alternatively, you can use Markdown text. For more information, see Use Markdown to add text, links, and images.
You can add a text box to your dashboard and choose from various font styles, sizes, and colors. This feature is only available if you are using the absolute layout.
Add an image
Use inputs to make dashboards dynamic
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud Platform™: 9.0.2208