Associate objects with dashboards in the Splunk AR mobile app with object detection
You can register assets using logo or text detection in the Splunk AR app.
Splunk AR distinguishes assets that have the same logo or text by using the asset location. Define the asset location with beacons or geofences.
To learn more about Object Detection, see About Splunk AR Object Detection.
Complete the following before using Object Detection to register assets in Splunk AR:
- Your device is running iOS 13.0 or higher.
- Register your device to a Splunk Platform instance that has Splunk Secure Gateway and the Splunk App for AR installed. See Register your mobile device to a Splunk instance.
- Have the right Splunk AR user permissions Configure Splunk AR roles and permissions.
- Have Splunk compatible dashboards on your Splunk Enterprise instance. See Visualization support in the Splunk Secure Gateway Release Notes manual for more information about compatible visualizations.
- If you're registering an asset with a logo, have an image of that logo saved on your device. The image should be cropped tightly fit the logo.
- Use Object Detection in a well lit area.
- Set up a beacon or geofence. See Associate data with locations using Splunk AR to learn more.
Text detection best practices
Make sure the text string is on a flat surface that's at least 10 inches wide.
If you register multiple assets using text strings that contain the same string of characters, and the assets are located close to each other, Splunk AR might have issues identifying the workspace when repeated text is within camera view. For example, if one text string reads "Hello World," and another text string within camera view reads "The World Goes Round," the text "World" might interfere with loading the workspace.
To avoid this, try the one following workarounds:
- Use unique text strings for assets that are located close to each other.
- Move the text strings further apart so that only one at a time is within view of the Splunk AR camera.
- If you're using beacons, lower the beacon broadcasting power to prevent overlap in the detection area.
To register an asset using object detection, associate the asset with a text string or logo. Then, configure the asset location with a beacon or geofence so Splunk AR can distinguish the text or logo from others.
- In the Splunk AR camera view, tap the ellipses icon.
- Tap Assets.
- Tap Register.
- Tap Object Detection.
- Enter a string for text detection or select an image for logo detection.
The text character limit is 100 characters.
- If you selected an image, crop the image to the size of the logo. Use the slider to indicate the actual width of the logo in the real world. For best results, measure the exact width of the logo.
- Enter an asset name.
- Select an existing AR workspace or create an AR workspace.
- Configure the asset location.
- Select Beacon or Geofence.
- Select an existing beacon or geofence, or create a new one.
- Select Save Asset.
When a Splunk AR user scans the text or logo, Splunk AR uses the text or logo as a visual anchor for augmented reality visualizations. The beacon or geofence distinguishes the text or logo by using the location to retrieve the correct data for that asset.
Create and use geofences with Splunk AR
Add and edit notes or media to AR workspaces using Splunk AR
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® AR for iOS: 3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.1.0, 3.1.1, 3.2.0, 3.2.1