Create a service template in ITSI
Service templates in IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) help you manage services in bulk. Any changes you make to a template are propagated to all linked services.
To create a service template, you must first create a service on which to base the service template. The entity rules, KPIs, KPI importance values, and KPI thresholds of the service are imported into the service template. The service you create the template from is linked to the template by default. After the template is created, you can link multiple services to it. A service can be linked to only one template.
Note that service templates are always created in the Global team, regardless of the team of the service that you use to generate the template.
- To create a service template, you must have the write_itsi_base_service_template capability and have write access to the Global team. Users with the itoa_admin role have this capability by default.
Users with team admin roles (roles that inherit from the itoa_team_admin role) have a read-only view of the service templates lister page. Team admins can't create or change service templates but they can create services for their teams using service templates.
- To create a service template, you must create a single service and then generate a template from it. For an overview of creating services, see Overview of creating services in ITSI.
- From the ITSI top menu bar, go to Configuration > Service Templates.
- Select Create Service Template.
- Select a service to use to prepopulate your template. The entity rules, KPIs, KPI importance values, KPI thresholds, and service tags are imported into the template. The service you use to create the template is linked to the template.
Services with a lock icon are already linked to a template. If you choose a service that is already linked to a template, it is unlinked it from its current template and linked to the new template you are creating.
- Enter a template title and description for the template and select Create.
The entity rules and KPIs from the service are imported into the template.
- Review the following tabs in the service template definition:
Content pack Description Entities The entity rules that have been imported from the service are displayed on the Entities tab. Add, modify, or delete entity rules. Use the following options to specify the value of an entity in each service rather than in the template:
- matches a value to be defined in the service
- does not match a value to be defined in the service
These settings are useful if each service linked to the template monitors different entities. If you use matches a value to be defined in the service or does not match a value to be defined in the service to define entities and choose Overwrite Entity Rules when you save the service template, any entity rules already defined in the linked services are replaced with the entity rules from the template and have blank values (matching all entities).
Matching entities aren't displayed in the service template. You can view matching entities at the bottom of the Entities tab in the service definition. For more information, see Add entity rules to a service in ITSI.
KPIs The KPIs imported from the service are displayed on the KPIs tab. Any KPIs in the service that were based on an ad hoc search, metrics search, or data model are converted to a base search in both the service template and the service. Add, modify, or delete the template's KPIs. Any KPIs you add to the template have to use a base search. Template KPIs can't use ad hoc, metrics, or data model searches. For more information, see Create KPI base searches in ITSI. Settings All tags from the original service are added to the new template. Modify these tags as needed for the template. Adding or removing tags doesn't unlink the service from the template. For more information, see Add tags to a service in ITSI.
Under Service Health Score the Include Entities setting is imported from the service. When enabled, entities can effect the health score due to the thresholding levels placed on the entity. Disable Include Entities if you want the KPI aggregate to determine the Service Health Score rather than a single entity. See Impact of per-entity thresholds on service health scores for more info.
The importance values for the KPIs that were imported from the service are also displayed on the Settings tab. For more information, see Set KPI importance values in ITSI.
Linked services The service you used to create the template is listed as a linked service. For more information, see Link and unlink services from a service template in ITSI.
- To make changes to the template, see Update a service template in ITSI.
- To create a new service from the template, see Create a service from a service template in ITSI.
- To link services to the template, see Link and unlink services from service templates in ITSI.
Overview of service templates in ITSI
Create a service from a service template in ITSI
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.12.0 Cloud only, 4.12.1 Cloud only, 4.12.2 Cloud only, 4.13.0, 4.13.1, 4.14.0 Cloud only, 4.14.1 Cloud only, 4.14.2 Cloud only