In order to use the Splunk App for VMware, you need a valid license. This VMware license is in addition to the license(s) you need to use your Splunk platform deployment. The license works for both local and remote license master configurations. Your app license volume does not add indexing volume to your Splunk Enterprise license. If your VMware deployment is missing a valid license, you will receive a license violation notification.
To address this problem, follow these steps:
- Contact Splunk Sales. Tell them how much data per day you plan to use with the Splunk App for VMware.
- Once you have been provided an invoice, pay the designated amount. Splunk will send you a license key.
- Once you receive the license key, install the license into the Splunk Enterprise server that hosts your licenses.
Note: You can install the paid license at any time during the 90 day trial period but you must install it in order to view your VMware app data once the trial license expires.
Add a new license
To add a new license:
- Navigate to Settings > Licensing.
- Click Add license.
- Either click Choose file and browse for your license file and select it, or click copy & paste the license XML directly... and paste the text of your license file into the provided field. Note: If you install a Dev/Test license with an Enterprise license, the Enterprise license file will be replaced.
- Click Install. If this is the first Enterprise license that you are installing, you must restart Splunk Enterprise. Your license is installed.
App License Status
The App License Status dashboard of the Splunk App for VMware displays data on the status of your Splunk App for VMware license. Use this dashboard to see:
- The status of your license
- Monitor messages
- Days remaining untul your app license expires
- Total data usage in GB
Users will be routed to the App License Status page if a functional license is not detected.
Use the Refresh button to check the status of your license.
Use the App Data Volume page to monitor license usage. See the App Data Volume section of this manual.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know what size license I will need?
When you contact Splunk Sales, they can help you determine the correct license quota based on the number of servers you have in your environment and what data you want to index.
Which server hosts the licenses?
The Splunk Enterprise server that hosts your Splunk licenses (known as the license master) depends on how you have configured the central Splunk App for VMware instance.
In many cases, Splunk Enterprise holds licenses on the server that performs indexing for the Splunk App for VMware. Depending on how you configured the central Splunk App for VMware instance, the master license server might be on a different Splunk Enterprise instance within the deployment.
What happens if I don't have a Splunk App for VMware license?
The Splunk App for VMware requires that you have a license to view your VMware data. If you don't have a license, use the instructions above to get a valid license key from Splunk Support.
What happens if I violate my license?
If you violate your Splunk App for VMware license, the app gives you a warning that you have exceeded your daily indexing limit. If you continue to violate your license within a 30-day period, the license violation will disable all VMware app pages except for the following admin management pages:
- App Data Volume
- App License Status
- App Install Health
- Configured Thresholds
Data collection will continue as normal. License violations do not have a reset feature. Users will need to wait until midnight of the next day, or contact Sales or Support to receive a temporary trial license.
If your deployment has been disabled by a license violation, contact Splunk Support for assistance in lifting the restriction.
Note: This also happens if the Splunk App for VMware cannot find a valid license.
Does the Splunk App for VMware change the amount of data I can index in Splunk Enterprise?
No. It does not increase or decrease the amount of indexing capacity on your Splunk Enterprise servers.
Install the Splunk App for VMware
Assign user roles for Splunk App for VMware
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® App for VMware (Legacy): 4.0.4