Capacity Planning Clusters
Use the Capacity Planning (Clusters) dashboard to monitor and plan the allocation of resources for virtual machines in your cluster. Using this dashboard you can see memory and cpu utilization for specific clusters, and you can identify those clusters that are nearing maximum capacity for the specific resource. CPU utilization is expressed as a percentage of time (0 to 100%) that the CPU executes at the threshold you define.
You can also view a list of clusters excluded due to lack of hosts or services. These are clusters that do not support cluster services and that contain less than two hosts.
Filter your search results using the drop-down lists in this panel. The data displayed in the table is populated with the results of the search. Using the results in the table you can monitor the activity of certain clusters or better provision resource (cpu or memory) for them.
To show cluster performance:
- Select a time range for the search, for example Last 24 hours.
- In the Show clusters with drop down, select a key performance metric, max cpu usage or max memory usage, on which to base the search. For example, max cpu usage.
- Define a usage percent for a resource, for example 80%.
- Specify whether you want the search to include results that are higher or lower that the percent specified (in the next step). In this example select "or higher".
- Define a percentage of time over which the resource is used, for example 5%.
A table displays the clusters where cpu usage met or rose above 80% more than 5% of the time.
Chart cluster performance
Click on a cluster in the results table to display a chart showing the performance of the cluster in relation to the threshold you set for that metric.
Metrics used to populate the dashboard
|max cpu usage||p_average_clusterServices_effectivecpu_megaHertz||The total available CPU resources of all hosts within a cluster.|
|max memory usage||p_average_clusterServices_effectivemem_megaBytesv||The total amount of machine memory of all hosts in the cluster that is available for use for virtual machine memory.|
Searches that populate the dashboard
The following searches are used to populate the Capactity Planning (Clusters) dashboard:
Capacity Planning Hosts
Capacity Planning for Clusters - CPU Headroom
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® App for VMware: 4.0.4