Links to third-party websites
Splunk documentation sometimes has links to pages outside of the documentation or a Splunk website. When you include a link to a page outside of a Splunk site, consider whether the link is essential for the reader or if it's supplemental information.
An essential link is a link in the documentation that brings a reader to information they might have difficulty locating on their own but need to access while reading the topic. Linking to a third-party website is sometimes necessary, such as when you're sending a developer to a repository or if a third-party site has information about connecting their product to a Splunk app or add-on. When you need to provide a link outside of Splunk documentation, follow these guidelines:
- Spell out the full URL.
- Include "http://www" or "https://www".
- Don't capitalize any letters in the URL.
- Remove the trailing slash at the end of the URL.
See the following examples:
- Download the configuration files from the Kubernetes Deployments area of Github at https://github.com/signalfx/signalfx-agent/tree/master/deployments/k8s.
- Download the Splunk Cloud Services CLI package for your operating system from https://github.com/splunk/splunk-cloud-sdk-go/releases.
- Create a VictorOps webhook by following the steps in https://help.victorops.com/knowledge-base/rest-endpoint-integration-guide.
- You must create your own Slack app and add it to your workspace. See https://api.slack.com/messaging/webhooks in the Slack API.
Third-party links can change without your knowing, so check that the links work with every release of your documentation.
A supplemental link is a link in the documentation that brings a reader to information they can locate on their own through a simple internet search. Avoid creating deep links to pages outside of Splunk sites when the link is supplemental. Instead, consider other ways you can direct users to information if you think they need assistance finding it, such as giving the user a search term and a website name. See the following examples:
- Search for "Query tables" on the Microsoft website.
- For details, see "Connecting to WMI Remotely Starting with Vista" on the Microsoft website.
Links to Splunk materials
Best practices for writing with lists
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Style Guide: current