Dashboards can display the results of previously run scheduled searches as well as data from backgrounded real-time searches. They can also be set up to run the moment the dashboard is loaded, either as a real-time search or a search that gathers data for a period in the past (such as the last 10 minutes or the last full day).
More complex dashboards can contain forms that enable you to select various time ranges or search values for a search that populates one or more dashboard panels, special drilldown behaviors, and more.
Dashboards are always associated with specific apps.
For more information
In the Splunk Data Visualizations manual:
- Overview of dashboards: What you can do with Splunk Web and XML
- Splunk default dashboards
- Create and edit dashboards via Splunk Web
- Build and edit dashboards with simple XML
- Build and edit forms with simple XML
In the Developing Views and Apps for Splunk Web manual: